What is Ergonomics?
Ergonomics is the science of fitting jobs to workers instead of trying to get the worker to fit the job. It focuses on designing workstations, tools & work tasks for safety, efficiency and comfort. Ergonomics seeks to decrease fatigue and injuries, along with increasing comfort, productivity, job satisfaction and safety, because work injuries are not inevitable and a well-designed job should not hurt you.
Ergonomics is important because when you’re doing a job and your body is stressed by an awkward posture, extreme temperature, or repeated movement your musculoskeletal system is affected. Your body may begin to have symptoms such as fatigue, discomfort, and pain, which can be the first signs of a musculoskeletal disorder.
What are Musculoskeletal Disorders?
Musculoskeletal disorders (MSD) are injuries or disorders of the muscles, nerves, tendons, joints, cartilage, and spinal discs. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSD) are conditions in which:
- The work environment and performance of work contribute significantly to the condition; and/or
- The condition is made worse or persists longer due to work conditions
Examples of work conditions that may lead to WMSD include routine lifting of heavy objects, daily exposure to whole body vibration, routine overhead work, work with the neck in chronic flexion position, or performing repetitive forceful tasks. There is positive evidence for relationships between work conditions and MSDs of the neck, shoulder, elbow, hand and wrist, and back.
Musculoskeletal disorders are associated with high costs to employers such as absenteeism, lost productivity, and increased health care, disability, and worker’s compensation costs. MSD cases are more severe than the average nonfatal injury or illness.
Our Ergonomics Services
- Ergonomic Risk Assessment: We have experts in Ergonomic Risk Assessment. We can help you quantify ergonomic risk factors at your worksite using objective, valid ergonomic assessment tools.
- Worksite Assessments: Our experts will conduct a worksite assessment to review job tasks with respect to the client’s functional needs. The assessment will identify workplace-specific accommodations to meet the client’s needs. Comprehensive reports with specific equipment and service accommodations are provided.
- Ergonomics Training: This is the most crucial component of the an efficient ergonomic process. Our experts can train your entire organisation on how to remain ergonomically safe.
- Ergonomics Program Management: We can help you define policies, standards, and guidance documents to drive a sustainable ergonomics process.